Wednesday 5 March 2008

The Kite Runner

First I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and thought it was amazing. Then I read The Kite Runner, and thought it was amazing too. Although I can't help feeling cheated somehow. I have a feeling that I didn't get to experience the full impact of The Kite Runner, having already read one of Hosseini's equally devastating other books. I think it left me desensitised.



Both books are horrifically violent and desperately touching, in equal measures. They're eye openers to Afghanistan's history, and have definitely come at the right time. But if you're going to read them, maybe start with the Kite Runner first.

Next on my list is the movie. Although don't watch this trailer if you want to read the book - there are far too many spoilers!



I think I hate the movie already. Sorry, but the epic American voiceover just doesn't do it for me (kind of like how Aladin and Mogli (Jungle Book) somehow ended up with American accents in the Disney movies). And what's with all the spoilers?!

It seems as though the movie has taken a different focus compared to the book - which I think is a massive shame. But then, I guess that's the inevitable curse of turning a novel into a film...

0 comments :