Friday 13 June 2008

The Konkans

The next book on my reading list is The Konkans by Tony D'Souza. Yup, 'D'Souza' not 'De Souza' - so he's a proper Goan.

I like to keep my postings fairly anonymous (which, I suppose, is all in vain because chances you probably know me anyway). Sure, you know I'm a StickGirl, I work in the city, blah blah.

But seeing as I read about this book in the Metro the other day, I now have to talk about my Goan heritage. Something which I actually know very little about.

For example, who knew that the Konkans are actually a 'marginalised group of Catholic Indians from Goa whose faith is the result of the brutal Goa Inquisition carried out by the Portuguese Catholic church during the 16th century'? (Yeah, I ripped the article out and brought it home with me). Who even knew that Goans are called Konkans?? Not me!

All this time I've been bumbling along thinking I'm a Goan, when in fact, I'm a Konkan! Sounds a little bit too much like 'conker' for my liking...

And sure, we all knew that Goa was a Portuguese colony - hence all the Portuguese surnames - but I wasn't aware of the savage conversion programme that took place in the 16th century.

Growing up in a Goan Catholic family, St Francis Xavier was definitely the big cheese, the ultimate big saint on campus. But now I'm discovering that he ordered this inquisition that, from the sounds of it, was pretty brutal. Oh those deceiving robes...

Ok, so obviously I'm not going to rely on the Metro for all the facts. But it's definitely made me more aware of my heritage, and the fact that I know so little about the history of my ancestors.

Plus it's inspiring to read about a successful and bestselling Goan writer (even if he's only half Goan) - who knew there was life for a Goan beyond accountancy?! Hooray, there is a light!

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Hi, I've blogged a review of the book here:

    http://chachajis-blog.blogspot.com/2008/05/tony-dsouzas-konkans.html