Tuesday 24 June 2008

Can facebook groups bring about change?

I really wish I could put an end to poverty...


Aha!

I'll create a facebook group - that'll do the trick!

I don't know about you, but I seem to be getting invited to an increasing number of facebook groups that begin with the words 'I bet I can find 100,000 people who [fill in the blank]'. Typically these can range from grandiose worldwide humanitarian/political/ethical issues, to which BB contestant you hate the most (all of them).

Some of them no doubt are worthwhile in recruiting members and getting people to take action by signing a petition or writing to their MP etc. And if these groups get big enough to make it into the press - even better.

But some of them just seem to exist for the sake of it. Like, for example, 'I bet i can find 1,000,000 people against Abortion'. Yes, I bet you can, seeing as facebook has almost 124 million unique users. Pretty easy bet if you ask me.

Although after having a nosy around that facebook group, I do think that it opens a good forum for discussion and provides a place for people to air their views.

The real question is, can these groups really bring about change? I suppose time will tell...and awareness raising is the best place to start.

1 comments :

  1. Dot Dot said...

    But some of these groups do have a real purpose, like this one:

    http://de.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2329056486