Saturday 16 February 2008

The best films of all time...or just recently.

Just read an article by Ken Russell on 'The Best Films of All Time'. His were:

1. Metropolis
2. The Red Shoes
3. Citizen Kane
4. Gone With the Wind
5. La Strada
6. Fantasia
7. The 39 Steps
8. A Night at the Opera
9. La Belle et la Bete
10. Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (!)

Having only been around a limited number of years (compared to good old Ken), my own list is probably better entitled 'The Best Films I've Watched Recently'. Although it doesn't have quite the same ring to it...

Anyhoo, here goes:

1. Requiem for a Dream
2. American Beauty
3. The House of Sand and Fog
4. A Time to Kill
5. A Beautiful Mind
6. Minority Report
7. Forest Gump
8. Identity
9. Romeo and Juliet
10. Reservoir Dogs

Requiem for a Dream is without a doubt the most powerful film I've ever seen. It's not the easiest to stomach, I've only been able to watch it about 3 or 4 times. It really does leave me quite traumatised!


It's a beautiful and devastating film - chances are you won't even like it. One reviewer described the experience like 'banging your head against a brick wall over and over again'.

But, I think everyone should watch it. At least once.

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    it does remind me of the first time we watched it together,in fact i think i ran to the bathroom in tears.